On the ferry

Sunday 14th September 2014 
 

Waiting to board the ferry

We are on the road by 9am. I am leading as I have the port at Ancona in my satnav. K-H has said that the last check-in for the ferry is at 10:30.

We arrive at 10:26. They both scold me for driving too fast over the limit on the way here. Sometimes you cannot please everyone!
 


The Superfast ferry Piraius

In the event we don't board until 1pm. The ship sails on to Patras after Igoumenitsa so we are loaded last. It's a boring wait, but we have shade and a coffee van. We also have the chaotic boarding procedures to amuse us as we wait. There are vehicles from all over Europe. Lots of big trucks and around 20 bikers.  

Lashing the bikes down

The boat is more impressive than I had expected. There are plenty of cafe bars, two restaurants and even a swimming pool though no one is brave enough to venture in in the evening. The Italian coast slides away as the sun sets behind the hills. We while away the time with Heineken lager and a pleasant enough meal in the waiter-service restaurant. We have upgraded to "air seats" in a private room a little like an aircraft cabin. But sleep is hard to come by and by morning I reckon I have dozed for no more than three hours.  


Leaving Ancona

Adriatic sunset 

NEXT POST

Comments