Friends Reunited

Friday 19th September 2014


Okay, it's 5:45am on the west coast of Turkey and pitch black as I fix the luggage onto the bike. It is almost 900 klicks to Cappadocia via Izmir, Afyon, Konya and Aksaray. The plan is to set off early and see how far I get before tiredness wins out. Konya, the religious capital of Turkey, is the primary aim, but let's see how it goes.

I head over the mountains to the west of Kusadasi as the sun starts to make inroads into the gloom. It's a windy mountain road until I hit the motorway and turn north for Izmir. This road is new and has an electronic toll system that is a complete mystery to me and presumably for any other foreign visitors.

 
Always a friendly welcome at pitstops

I reckon it is controlled by some sort of transponder in or on your vehicle, but there are no explanation signs, no evidence of a method of purchase and no personnel manning the barriers to provide assistance.

The upshot is that every time I pass through an entry barrier an orange warning light flashes and when I transit an exit barrier all hell breaks loose as I set off a siren not unlike an approaching police car with siren blaring.

So be it. As I transit the barrier at Izmir and set off the very audible alarm there is a police car sitting on the hard shoulder. But maybe he is just getting into his first donut of the day because I am completely ignored and carry on my way unmolested.

I will probably get arrested when I try to leave Turkey in a few weeks time.

 
Roadside pottery emporium

After Izmir the road just gets better and better. As I climb up over the mountains the road swings through a series of fast sweepers. It is newly surfaced and very grippy. It is also getting damn cold with the altitude and some serious clouds are beginning to appear.

At a coffee stop I change out of the hot weather gear and don the GS dry suit. Better safe than sorry. However the threatening rain never quite appears except for a few spots around Afyon.

 
High Plains drifter

I'm making great time and by 2pm I have completed the 650km to Konya. Before setting out I loaded a potential overnight stop into the Navi so I head for the old town to check it out.

It's a complete nightmare. A new tram system is under construction and the maze of back street in this historic old town are completely gridlocked. Mostly streets are one-way and many have had the direction of travel temporarily reversed which sends the Navi into paroxysms of confusion.

I eventually find the pension I am aiming for but there is nowhere to park and the street outside is entirely chaotic. It is now 3pm.

I check the Navi. It is another 280 km to Goreme where Charly and Karl-Heinz should have arrived. I check the driver. I feel fine. Travelling alone with no fixed destination is a lot more relaxing than following in convoy and with a set destination that must be achieved.

 
Lonely fuel stop

So let's go for it. I head back out of the Konya nightmare and am soon on the open road again. This is thinly populated country, the dual carriageway road traversing a high plain with very few villages or sign of habitation. It is chilly but not so cold, about 1200 metres above sea level with the view stretching across unbroken grass land to the horizon or to distant mountains.

There is a massive thunderstorm doing it's thing off to the right and as I enter Nevsehir large raindrops are falling on my head. But Goreme is only 10 km further on so head down in the dark I carry on and finally reach the destination I had planned to arrive at the following day.

 
First fairy chimney, must be Cappadocia

Charly and K-H have arrived earlier in the day and are installed At the Travellers
Cave Hotel. After some phone calls and several stops to ask direction I finally pull in at 7pm.

 
The courtyard at the Travellers Cave

This far east it is dark early. Geographically speaking if we flew due south we would hit the eastern tip of Cyprus. A little further east and it's Syria.

So happy reunions all round. Charly and K-H stayed in Konya last night at the rather fancy Deddeman Hotel. Oh and they were booked for speeding by the cops and have a fine to pay before we leave Turkey. Ironic really since I was the one doing the silly speeds today!

 
Our room is through the archway

The Travellers is a lovely hotel. But more of that tomorrow. We are booked on a balloon flight and will be picked up from the hotel at 4.45am. Yes, that's a quarter to five in the morning and it's already 11pm as we head down from the roof restaurant to get our heads down. 

Comments